很多网友好奇TAX1ON1作为一个非盈利机构注册有简单流程吗？工欲善其事必先利其器, 如果你和你的团队正在酝酿一个崭新的NPO Startup, 那么现在就可以开始考虑nonprofit org的设立,注册,申请免税机构,会计做账,报税等等流程。
1. Obtain EIN on IRS website.
2. Draft Artilcle of Incorporation (or Organization), Bylaws, Conflict of Interest Policy, Mission Statement, and etc. Hold a board meeting, then elect President, Treasurer, Clerk, and directors as necessary.
3. Incorporate a Corporation with usually “corporate division” of a State Department that is in charge of corporation setup. Each state might have a different authority responsible for such incorporation. A registration fee usually will apply. There usually is a fee for annual report or filing for subsequent years. In Mass State, it is with the Corporate Division of the Secretary of the Commonwealth.
4. Open a bank account under the corporate name.
5. Prepare Form 1023 and supporting schedules/statements and cut a check to apply for IRS 501(c)(3) status. It might take 6 months to 1 year to get approved. Once approved, it’s usually effective from day 1, i.e. the registration day.
6. Submit nonprofit corporation filing (different from the IRS 1023 filing) with the state authority. In Mass state, it is required to file with the Attorney General’s office which shows you are a charity, even your 501(c)(3) status hasn’t been approved by the IRS.
7. If there is a fundraising activity going on in a state, usualy a certificate of solicitation is also required. In Mass state, it is required to file with the Attorney General’s office.
8. Prepare annual balance sheet, income statement, statement of cash flow, statement of owner’s equity (if required). If required, a nonprofit may also need to produce W2, 1099 forms to employees and volunteers.
9. File annual 990 forms and state corporation filing (not required in some states; some states also require a copy of Federal form 990) as necessary. Small nonprofits may file 990-N postcard online in lieu of Form 990 or 990-EZ but only after its nonprofit status has been approved by the IRS. If a nonprofit has unrelated business taxable income (UBTI), then 990-T usually is required to be filed.
10. There might be additional filing requirements in another state if a nonprofit has business presence.